Sunday, June 9, 2013

More gloves than you can shake a stick at

I usually have Addy wear gloves while she's using her wheelchair, just to keep the grime and nastiness to a minimum. So far, these are her favorites:
Bike gloves (aka, wheelchair gloves)

Pink, princess bike gloves. They're cute and they do the job, but they are a ROYAL pain to get on her wiggly fingers and she definitely isn't able to put them on herself. I searched for a while, looking for a better option, and found a pattern for fingerless quadriplegic wheelchair gloves (link). (No, Addy isn't a quadriplegic, but she does have the dexterity of a 2 year old, so these looked like a perfect option).

It took a couple of tries, but I managed to make them her size and possible for her to put on by herself (and, while I was at it, blinged out with Dora ribbon):
Glove palmGlove back openGlove back closed

The fabric is white linen--I'm digging the linen because it wicks moisture away, though grey might have been a better choice for color. The palm has black leather to be extra cushy and grippy on her wheels. And I figured out how to have the Dora ribbon be both decorative and functional. Overall, I'm pretty proud of myself. I even made two of them. Maybe tomorrow I'll figure out how to make one for her left hand.