Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Curry verdict

Chick pea curry was easy peasy to freeze and cook, smelled fantastic all day, and tasted good to everyone over the age of 3.  It also made a TON of food, even after I cut the recipe in half.  I ended up doing individual portions with the leftovers and re-froze them.

Original recipe (link) called for 3lb of chicken and 2lb of chopped butternut squash.  I used 32oz of canned chick peas instead of chicken and halved everything else.  To cook, I put the freezer bag contents in the crockpot along with half a can of coconut milk.  It didn't look like enough moisture to me, so I added half a can of broth, too.  About 30 minutes before we were ready to eat, I added the rest of the coconut milk and about 2/3 bag of frozen peas (peas are Addy's all time favorite vegetable, so I cooked the rest of them plain so she would have something to eat).

Mommy and Daddy ate the curry with rice and got quite full.  The girls did at least taste the sauce, but ended up eating plain rice, plain peas, crackers, and cheese.  Overall, it went about like I expected, but not as well as I had hoped.