Monday, December 2, 2013

Dear Other Parent Shopping At Target Yesterday

You were about 20 feet away from us, but I heard your little boy ask you a question yesterday.  I'm sure you were uncomfortable--he was loud and his question probably felt kind of rude.  But over the noise of the Sunday-after-Thanksgiving shoppers, over the beeping of the barcode reader at the check-out line, and over the sound of my own kid's voice I heard your inquisitive child ask you "Why is she doing that?"

I secretly hoped he was talking about someone else, but since he was looking in our direction and pointing at my daughter, there is little doubt that he wanted to know why my 3 year old was using a wheelchair.  I didn't hear your answer, but I did hear your son's follow-up question: "You mean she can't walk at all?"

Get ready for a constructive criticism sandwich.

Bravo to you for patterning more polite behavior by using an indoor voice when responding to your child's question.  It isn't rude to have questions.  Certainly there are rude ways to ask them, but your son is young and curious.  Please don't be embarrassed.

Don't ever assume what my child can and can't do.  And don't you dare tell my child--or allow your child to tell mine--what she can't do.  It just so happens that she can walk.  She works hard--REALLY hard--at walking.  She needs the help of a walker and leg braces to do it, but she *can* walk.  It is, however, tiring and not practical most days for her to walk while shopping, which is why she uses her wheelchair.  Don't think for a second that she can't walk.  And I'll thank you to make sure your son does likewise.

Finally, thank you for answering your child's question.  Kids are curious.  They ask questions.  There's nothing wrong with that.  Answering his question means he's more likely to be accepting of different kids at school or our shopping or at the park.  And just for the record, yesterday was pretty hectic, but on most days it would be okay to ask me and my daughter about her wheelchair.  I'd much rather have you know the facts than make up some wild story about how she can't walk.