Wednesday, December 4, 2013

On the first day of Christmas

I just can't bring myself to participate in "Elf on the Shelf" and I got too side-tracked to do a proper Advent calendar this year (again), but I still want to start some fun holiday traditions.  We're going to try doing 12 days of family activities leading up to Christmas this year.  Here's our list (order still to be determined):
1.  Find an "angel tree" and play Santa to someone else
2.  Read Christmas stories (titles yet to be determined)
3.  Make handprint ornaments out of salt dough
4.  Decorate handprint ornament (No, it's not cheating!  The dough has to bake and cool before you can paint it.  It really will take 2 nights.)
5.  Make cookies or Chex mix
6.  Watch a Christmas movie
7.  Drive around and check out Christmas lights
8.  Get out our Nativity set
9.  Sing Christmas songs
10.  Make Hot Cocoa
11.  Color Christmas pictures
12.  Put together a Christmas puzzle

And as long as we're on the topic of Christmas, I saw a suggestion I actually like from the deepest, darkest, most evilest, time-suckingest part of The Internet: Pinterest.  It's a fill-in-the-blank Christmas list idea.  You give your kid 4 lines to fill in.  1) I would like ___. 2) I need ___. 3) I would wear ___. 4) I would read ___.  Short, sweet, and not too gluttonous.  Hopefully we can pull it off.